BREAKING NEWS! Nominations will stay open until this Wednesday, March 1st at 5:00PM!
It’s that time of year again! Appalachian State University’s Outdoor Programs, a division of University Recreation, presents the Appalachian Adventure Achievement Award (A4). Through the A4, our goal is to positively inspire more youth to adopt a healthy, supportive, and active outdoor lifestyle. This will in turn support their current and future well-being. We also want to acknowledge young people and their passion and pursuits so that our community can celebrate them. These individuals can also inspire others to join them in living active, healthy, and adventurous lives.
The A4/Appalachian Adventure Achievement Award recognizes individuals who exemplify the outdoor lifestyle. Ideal candidates are those who:
· - Excel in their mountain sport (skiing, snowboarding, climbing, trail running, biking, kayaking, mountaineering/backpacking, adventure racing, etc.)
· - Elevate the status of their sport in the High Country community
· - Are valued role models and/or mentors
· - Contribute to social or environmental awareness of the area
· - Are an excellent ambassador to the High Country outdoor community
Individuals may be nominated in one of two age categories: 17 and under and 18 to 24 years old (as of March 25, 2017). Nominees must currently reside or attend school in the geographic area known as the High Country of North Carolina (the counties of Watauga, Avery, and Ashe). Individuals can be nominated over successive years, but can only receive the A4 for their age category once. We will recognize the winners on the March 25, 2017 screening of the Banff Mountain Film Festival at the Schaeffer Performing Arts Center.