OP offers a variety of backpacking trips, courses and trainings throughout the year. Below are descriptions of our most common offerings. Click on the Level name to see trips offered at that level. Checkout the OP Calendar for Spring 2013 Trips and Pricing.
*Book all trips at Base Camp in the outing center, located at the SRC.
The OP Backpacking Program offers several levels of experiences to meet participants' preparation and expectations, all trips have something to offer students of all skill levels and are open to all:
Level 1 Foundations
Designed for novices with little to no experience, will teach you skills necessary to enjoy the activity safely while leaving plenty of room to learn more.
Level 2 Intermediate
Designed forbackpackers with some experience who wish to develop the skills necessary to plan their own adventure.
Level 3 Instructor Development
Designed for backpackers who wish to learn "how to teach" backpacking skills and eventually lead trips with Outdoor Programs or other organizations.
Level 4 Credentials (coming soon)
Designed for those backpackers looking to recieve a nationally recognized curriculum or certification, or participate in Outdoor Program's Staff Training.
Backpacking and Hiking Trips
- Location: Roan Mountain, TN or Grayson Highlands, VA = TBD
- Date: Friday, 3/1 - Sunday, 3/3
- Cost: $95
- Summary: This mini expedition heads to Grayson Highlands where you'll be given the opportunity to practice the fundamentals of backpacking, backcountry cooking, campcraft, navigation and more in an amazing WINTER SETTING. All equipment and supplies will be carried in backpacks by each individual and a new camp will be established each evening. Trip fee includes transportation, meals, equipment, camping and experienced Outdoor Programs instructors.
- Pre-Trip Meeting: Wednesday, 2/27 at 6pm @ OP Baecamp
- Level 2
- Location: Grayson Highlands, VA
- Dates: Saturday, 4/20 - Sunday, 4/21
- Cost: $95
- Summary: Join OP as we explore the beautiful and rugged landscape of Grayson Highlands. This region is known for its wild ponies, open balds and unique rock formations. We will be embarking on a three day backpacking adventure through this enchanted landscape. OP instructors will share their knowledge with you as you dive into the fundamentals of backpacking, back country cooking, water treatment and more while traveling as a member of a cohesive team. Trip fee includes transportation, meals, all equipment, and experienced Outdoor Programs instructors.
- Pre-Trip Meeting: Tuesday, 4/16 6pm @ OP Basecamp
- Level 1