Climbing Wall Instructor (CWI)
This climbing wall instructor course is brought to you by our partners at Fox Mountain Guides .
The American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA) Climbing Wall Instructors Program is the national standard to train and evaluate indoor climbing wall instructors. The Climbing Wall Instructor Certification Program is designed to evaluate the concept of a climbing-wall-specific, technical skills certification. The course addresses the basic technical skills necessary to manage an instructional program at a climbing facility. This is not a 'climbing course,' but instead focuses heavily on skills evaluation and developing and presenting lesson plans. Candidates have the opportunity to choose from the 'Top Rope' and 'Lead Climbing' certifcation levels (see below). Candidates shall possess sufficient knowledge, demonstrate skills, and/or demonstrate teaching ability in each competency area (if appropriate to the topic) in order to successfully complete the course.
Click here for additional course registration information.
2 1/2 Days, 20 Hours
Climbing wall staff, climbing gym staff, university outdoor education programs
Pre-requisites for Certification at the AMGA CWI 'Top Rope' Level:
- Must be 18 years old or older
- At least one year documented personal climbing experience (a minimum of 20 outings climbing indoors and/or outdoors).
- Climbing ability: top rope 5.7 on artificial structures. Demonstrating calm, confidence, good position, balance, solid base of support, no falls and general body awareness.
- Ability to effectively belay with tube/plate device and an assisted braking device (i.e. Petzl GriGri)
- An instructional background: ability to effectively teach basic skills
Pre-requisites for Certification at the AMGA CWI 'Lead Climbing' Level:
- All above pre-requisites
- Climbing ability: top rope 5.9 and lead 5.8 on artificial structures. Demonstrating calm, confidence, good position, balance, solid base of support, no falls, and general body awareness.
- Ability to effectively belay in a top rope and lead belay setting with tube/plate device and an assisted braking device (i.e. Petzl GriGri)
- An instructional background: ability to effectively teach skills learned in an indoor setting
$325 - Current Appalachian State University Students
$370 - Other
$100 - Deposit can be made to reserve your spot on this course
AMGA Membership is required. If you do not already have a membership, the fee is an additional $85 (this payment is due after registration)
Dates coming soon for Fall 2017!
Appalachian State University - Student Recreation Center
150 Bodenheimer Drive
Boone, NC 28608
Onsite lodging is unavailable.
American Mountain Guides Association, Climbing Wall Instructor (Top Rope or Lead). Certification and AMGA Membership lasts for three years. After three years, current CWI's can re-take a one-day assessment to regain the CWI certifcation.
Academic Course Credit:
Appalachian State University's Recreation Management Department offers 1.00 credit for this course. The course number is RM3548. This is optional. Enrollment for this course can take place via ApplNet course registration. Payment for course may take place AFTER ApplNet registration. If you need any further assistance with academic course credit, contact Dr. Erik Rabinowitz , Recreation Management Area Director.
Additional online registration through Fox Mountain Guides needs to take place. This registration can be found here.
For more information contact Outdoor Programs, Chris Bartram at firstname.lastname@example.org, (828)262.4077.