It’s that time of year again! Appalachian State University’s Outdoor Programs, a division of University Recreation, presents the Appalachian Adventure Achievement Award (A4). Through the A4, our goal is to positively inspire more youth to adopt a healthy, supportive, and active outdoor lifestyle. This will in turn support their current and future well-being. We also want to acknowledge young people and their passion and pursuits so that our community can celebrate them. These individuals can also inspire others to join them in living active, healthy, and adventurous lives.
The A4/Appalachian Adventure Achievement Award recognizes individuals who exemplify the outdoor lifestyle. Ideal candidates are those who:
- Excel in their mountain sport (skiing, snowboarding, climbing, trail running, biking, kayaking, mountaineering/backpacking, adventure racing, etc.)
- Are valued role models and/or mentors
- Elevate the status of their sport in the High Country community
- Contribute to social or environmental awareness of the area
- Currently reside or attend school in the geographic area known as the High Country of North Carolina (the counties of Watauga, Avery, and Ashe)
Individuals can be nominated over successive years, but can only receive the A4 for their age category once. We will recognize the winners on the March 23, 2018 screening of the Banff Mountain Film Festival at the Schaeffer Performing Arts Center.
Student Recreation Center
150 Bodenheimer Drive
Boone, North Carolina 28608
First Ascent Summer 2018 registration has started. These programs fill rapidly. Join us on Appalachian State Univeristy's only Wilderness Orientation program this summer!