Canada Expedition March 2019
Spring Break March 1 - 10, 2019 (We are now accepting applications.)
- 10 day program including travel days. We are on snow for 8 days.
- Visit to the University of Calgary Outdoor Programs
- Stay at the Alpine Club of Canada lodge in Canmore and backcountry huts
- Behind-the-scenes tour of the Banff Centre for Mountain Culture
- Meet legendary ski mountaineering and pioneer Chic Scott who established many first ascents and descents in the region
- Full day skiing at Sunshine
- Full day skiing at World Famous Lake Louise Ski Resort
- Full day backcountry skiing at Bow Peak just off the Icefields Parkway
- Canadian Avalanche Level One certification
- A 5-Day, Hut-to Hut Ski Traverse of the Wapta Ice Fields with optional peak ascents and descents along the way (crevasse rescue practice, continued avalanche training, backcountry skiing, introduction to powder skiing, etc.)
Check out this video from the Canada program from a couple of years ago.
Recreation Management course credit. RM 3545 Expeditioning in Canada, 3 hours (you do not have to be a Recreation Management major or minor to participate on this expedition).
Appalachian State University Outdoor Programs professional staff member with significant wilderness, backcountry and ski background, Rich Campbell, will be leading the expedition and this will be his 5th time leading this particular program.
This will be the 5th AppState trip to the Canadian Rockies.
A Canadian Mountain Guide who is a fully certified IFMGA guide, the highest guide standard in the world, will also be providing leadership for this program.
Cost is $2,550, which includes the following:
- Ground transportation from Boone to Charlotte (return)
- International airfare to Calgary, Canada (return)
- Four-wheel drive ground transportation from Calgary to Banff, Lake Louise, and trailheads, (return)
- All technical gear for ski traverse (beacons, probes, crevasse rescue equipment, alpine touring or telemark ski gear, skins, boots, snowboard split boards, poles, etc.) We can accommodate alpine skiers, telemark skiers, and snowboarders.
- All Lodging – Hut fees on traverse, lodging in Banff and Lake Louise area, etc.
- All Food (breakfast and lunch not included on Day 1, and lunch and dinner are not included on Day 10)
- Guide fees, maps, emergency communications, lift tickets, travel insurance, fuel, parking, etc.
- Avalanche certification fees
Registration and Application Details
This trip has been approved by the Office of International Education and Development and we will begin taking applications soon.
Schedule a time to talk to Rich to make sure you know all the details of the program
Once it is determined that you are a good fit for the program, you can then bring in a $300 Deposit Check to reserve a spot on the trip. Check payable to Appalachian State University and Canada Ski Traverse in the Subject line
In addition to the deposit, you will need to fill out an International Programs Short Term Overseas application, a trip specific questionnaire, and a medical form. A web link with that information will be available soon. We have received a lot of interest in the program so we encourage you to come by and talk with us soon to make sure you have a spot as we can only take 10 participants. You have to schedule a time to talk with either Rich or Katie who have to give you access to the OIED application.
Please set up a time to talk with us and if you have any additional questions, please contact: